Care homes ‘neglected for too long’ in battle with Covid-19
May 14, 2020
Responding to the Downing Street press conference on Wednesday , in which it was confirmed that there will be £600 million of funding for care homes for infection control, Niall Dickson, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, which represents organisations across the healthcare sector, said care homes were where the major battle with Covid-19 was now raging and had been neglected it for too long.
“More money for infection control and the extra support from the NHS should alleviate some of the incredible pressure facing care homes now,” said Mr Dickson.
“But distribution has been a major problem throughout this crisis, so let’s make sure the money goes where it is most needed, with local leaders involved.
“Again, we had more promises to make sure care workers have access to testing and proper PPE. It is getting better, but we need all staff to be confident that they have the right equipment and the right training to use it, when they need it.
“All of this just shows yet again that we need fundamental reform, which, as well as proper funding, will make care homes and home care part of one system with the NHS.
“When this is over, it will be time to tackle our collective failure to address social care, which is nothing short of a national disgrace.”