Care Home Heroes 2020
Thank you to all those who entered our 2020 competition. The standard of entry was incredibly high this year.
All winners have now been notified. Stay tuned for the Autumn/Winter issues of Caring Times magazine where our winners will each have a one page feature!
Caring Times in association with Ontex have teamed up once again to reward those working in care homes who are always ready to go that extra mile. There are thousands of people working in care homes in the UK, some behind the scenes in the laundry, preparing meals in the kitchen and some caring for residents themselves. It is all about rewarding those individuals that have made a real impact on their particular place of work.
Congratulations to our overall winner for 2020 – Jordan Williams from Ty Mair Care Home, Hallmark Care Homes!
Jordan has always been a fantastic carer from the start of his employment with us and he is loved by our residents. He went above and beyond during the COVID-19 pandemic and despite the fact that he has a 3 year old and a newborn baby at home, he was one of the first to volunteer to work in our red zone to nurse those suffering from the virus.
Jordan decided to not return to his home during the crisis, so that he did not put his young family at risk and has been staying in the home for nearly 2 months, meaning he hasn’t been able to see his children in the flesh for all this time!
He has worked long shifts nearly 7 days a week to cover his colleagues who have been isolating or symptomatic themselves and every day he comes in with a smile and positive attitude. I feel as his Responsible Individual that he deserves an award for his hard work and commitment to his residents.
1st Runners up – Doreen and Jacqueline from Tandridge Heights Memorial Care Home, Barchester.
Doreen and Jacqueline are two of the most amazing people I know. They are both local to Oxted and have dedicated their lives to serving the community.
Their combined age is almost 145years old but that has never stopped them from volunteering , they have been coming to Tandridge Heights for a few years now, each single day to help with the residents, they sit and talk to them, knowing fully well that only people of a certain age can share the lived experiences of our residents.
They assist with meals, they assist with the weekly church services which the residents know and love , they hold the hands of residents who are dying and are there to allay the anxiety of new ones. We are touched daily by the gentle way in which they bring love to this world.
2nd Runner up – Shawn Lomass from Broadwater Lodge, Care UK
It’s all about ‘Shawn of all trades’ at Broadwater Lodge. From playing the Easter Bunny or Father Christmas to building the first ever farm at a UK care home – you name it, Shawn has likely done it. He will do anything to fulfil lives and provide residents with anything they ask for.
A man of many talents, cheery Shawn has built pub bars, made a beach area at the home and even learnt some sign language so that he can communicate with schoolchildren that visit the home for important intergenerational activities with residents.
Nothing is too much trouble for Shawn. His commitment to the home is something truly special and it’s because of this that residents, relatives, colleagues and the animals all love him so dearly.
Terms and Conditions
This prize draw is organised by Ontex, Weldon House, CorbyGate Business Park, Priors Haw Road, Corby, NN17 5JG. It is governed by the laws of England and Wales and it is subject to the following conditions:
- The prize draw is not open to employees or contractors of Ontex or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organisation and running of the competition or their direct family members
- The prizes are up to the value of £250 of Love to Shop Vouchers for the 3 runner-up winners in October, November and December issues. The overall winner collects £500 of Love to Shop Vouchers in the September issue.
- There is no cash alternative
- No purchase is necessary to take part in the prize draw. The prize draw is open to UK residents only who are aged 18 or over
- Closing date for entry is 20th May 2020. Winners will be notified 21 days after the closing date
- Permission will be required for Ontex to contact the winners and visit them to hand deliver the prizes
- If the winners do not confirm acceptance of his/her prize within 7 days he/she will automatically forfeit the rights to claim for the prize. In the event of the prize not being claimed, Ontex reserves the right to select an alternative winner via any means that Ontex feel appropriate.
By participating in the prize draw, you declare that you accept these terms and conditions unconditionally.