Congratulations to our 2019 Winners!
Scroll down to view the official winners photos and fantastic gala evening photos!
Outstanding Dementia Care Resource 2019
Massive Open Online Courses, Newcastle University
Outstanding Dementia Care Innovation 2019
Downshall Intergenerational Provision, Downshall Primary School
Best Dementia Carer 2019
Ebrahim Razavi, Maycroft Manor, Hallmark Care Homes
Best Activities Co-ordinator for People Living with Dementia 2019
Angela Hedley, The Oaks, Hill Care Ltd
Best Dementia Nurse Specialist/Dementia Lead 2019
Carol Rushton, Pennine Care NHS Mental Health
Best Dementia Care Manager 2019
Katherine Matthews, Perry Manor, Care UK
Best Dementia Garden 2019
Broadwater Lodge, Care UK
Best Dementia Training Initiative 2019
Learning from Living with Dementia – A Dementia Awareness Course, Dementia Trainers/Educate
Best Interior Dementia Design 2019
Old Silk Works Dementia Day Club, Alzheimer’s Support
Dementia Care Champion 2019
Paul Dixon, Mill House Care Home, Caring Homes
Exceptional Contribution by a Person or People Living with Dementia 2019
Outstanding Arts & Creativity in Dementia Care 2019
Collaboration between Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust & Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Best Dementia Team 2019
St Cuthbert’s Hospice Dementia Service, St Cuthbert’s Hospice
Best Dementia Friendly Hospital 2019
East Surrey Hospital, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
Best Dementia Care Home 2019
Lifetime Achievement in Dementia Care 2019
Professor Dawn Brooker, University of Worcester
Huge congratulations to all of our incredible 2019 Finalists!
Outstanding Dementia Care Resource
- Jessica Cohen & Lindsey Poustie, Budding Friends, Age UK Exeter
- Lindsey Ambrose, Dementia Experience Toolkit, Alzheimer’s Society
- Sam Dondi-Smith, InteractiveMe, Interactive Me
- Barbara Stephens & David Pooley, Unforgettable Music Player, Live Better With Ltd
- Louise Robinson & Lynne Corner, Massive Open Online Courses, Newcastle University
This award will be made to an outstanding resource which can be shown to have transformed the lives of those living with dementia and/or their carers.
Outstanding Dementia Care Innovation
- Lindsey Ambrose, Dementia Experience Toolkit, Alzheimer’s Society
- Alison Jones & Rhian Russell Owen, North Wales Dementia Support Service, Carers Trust North Wales Crossroads Care Services & BCUHB Health Board
- Ian Bennett & Dr David Hinchcliffe, Downshall Intergenerational Provision, Downshall Primary School
- Mark Smulian, MindHarp, Lydianstream Ltd
- Justine Allen & Julie Burdett, Meaningful Activity Service, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
This award recognises the vital role of new and stimulating innovations in developing high quality services for people living
Best Dementia Carer
- Karen Brocksmidt, The Good Care Group
- Lesley Marshall, Froxfield, Brendon Care
- Bartosz Plaszke, Gracewell of Bookham, Sunrise Senior Living UK and Gracewell Healthcare
- Ebrahim Razavi, Maycroft Manor, Hallmark Care Homes
- Lucy Stanbridge, Colne View, Care UK
This award recognises the vital role of the care assistant in providing quality care. Evidence of dedication, sensitive handling of matters of importance to residents, and career progress through training will all be taken into account.
Best Activities Co-ordinator for People Living with Dementia
- Frankie Conroy, EachStep Blackley, Community Integrated Care
- Angela Hedley, The Oaks, Hill Care Ltd
- Caroline Hutchinson, Chelsea Court Place, Innovative Aged Care
- Surraya Mahmood, NorseCare
- Charlene Rosewarne, East Hill House, Caring Homes
This award will be made to a person within a care home or day care environment with more than 50% of people living with dementia who has made an exceptional contribution to the quality of life, health and happiness of all the people they work with through the activities they provide.
Best Dementia Nurse Specialist/Dementia Lead
- Zena Aldridge, Dementia UK
- Irene Anderson, Hallmark Care Homes
- Sarah Oakwood, Weston Area Health NHS Trust
- Carol Rushton, Pennine Care NHS Mental Health
- Leanne Thomas, Gracewell of Kentford, Sunrise Senior Living UK and Gracewell Healthcare
This award will be made to an outstanding Dementia Nurse Specialist or Dementia Lead who has demonstrated an expert level of skill, knowledge, management and leadership. They will have supported their colleagues in delivering high quality, safe, seamless dementia care either in an acute, residential or community setting, facilitating staff training, discouraging inappropriate sedation, using dementia screening tools and developing person-centred care pathways and delivering improvements in dementia practice.
Best Dementia Care Manager
- Beverley Manzar, Ebury Court Care Home, Ebury Court Residential Home Ltd
- Katherine Matthews, Perry Manor, Care UK
- Gabriela Ogreanu, Sefton Hall Residential & Nursing Home, Southern Healthcare
- Michelle Phillips, EachStep Blackley, Community Integrated Care
- Gabriela Zackova, Chelsea Court Place, Innovative Aged Care
This award will be made to an outstanding dementia manager (or deputy) in a dementia focused environment. They will be expected to show exceptional leadership, caring, training and management skills for the benefit of service users and staff.
Best Dementia Garden
- Angela Bookham & Claire Norris, Broadwater Lodge, Care UK
- Sue Mitchell & Hayley Hughes, Anya Court, Hallmark Care Homes
- Ros Heath & Richard Heath, Landermeads
- Teresa Mangonon & Donna Hanlon, Berelands House Care Home, Priory Adult Care – Priory Group
- Chris O’Connor & Paula Tucker, East Surrey Hospital, Surrey & Sussex Healthcare Trust
This award will be made to a dementia focused facility/garden which has outstanding features that significantly enhance the quality of life of residents and staff.
Best Dementia Training Initiative
- Tracy Smyth, Dementia and Learning Disabilities, Alzheimer’s Society Belfast
- Claire Goodchild & Sue Hinds, Dementia Carers Support Courses, Dementia Carers Count
- Buz Loveday & Steve Clifford, Learning from Living with Dementia – A Dementia Awareness Course, Dementia Trainers/Educate
- Emma Smith & Lydia Morris, Empowered Conversations, Six Degrees Social Enterprise & University of Salford
- Anna Kerridge & Jane Pritchard, ADAPT – Advanced Dementia Training by The Good Care Group, The Good Care Group
This award recognises the vital role of effective training in dementia care. It will be made to an individual or organisation that can demonstrate the value of a training initiative which they have successfully implemented.
Best Interior Dementia Design
- Babs Harris, Old Silk Works Dementia Day Club, Alzheimer’s Support
- Caroline Baker, Hethersett Hall Care Home, Barchester Healthcare
- Bill Dyet & Theresa Rocks, Malmesbury Lawn, Hampshire County Council
- Paul Courtney, The Old Rectory, Southern Healthcare
- Chelle Daly & Reggie Ballos, Curtis House, The Royal Star and Garter
This award will acknowledge an outstanding dwelling designed for people living with dementia. The winner will have shown an ability to excite and innovate, with regard to practicality and cost awareness combined with the needs of people with dementia.
Dementia Care Champion
- Paul Dixon, Mill House Care Home, Caring Homes
- Ros Heath, Landermeads
- Christine Key, Barnsley Dementia Action Alliance, DAA
- Caroline Mundy, St Peter’s Hospice
- Wendy Richards, Hallmark Care Homes
This award will go to an exceptional person, whether they are a member of staff, a relative, resident or a volunteer who has gone above and beyond and made a real difference. It could be a charitable achievement or making life better for residents and relatives, or simply someone who has done great things but may not have had the recognition they deserve.
Exceptional Contribution by a Person or People Living with Dementia
This award is made by the Journal of Dementia Care to a person, or group of people, living with dementia who live and work with incredible passion and commitment to improve the lives and wellbeing of others living with dementia, and who inspire so many within the dementia community. The person/people chosen will be contacted before the awards ceremony and notified of the finalist position.
Outstanding Arts & Creativity in Dementia Care
- Tony Smith & Jo Biggs, Angel Radio, Angel Radio
- Erin Tuckey & Alina Tiits, Brand Memories, Museum of Brands
- Joanna James & Nicola Abraham, Collaboration between Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust and Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust & Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
- Kathryn Gilfoy & Faunsia Tucker, Resonate Arts / Victoria & Albert Museum
- David Savill & Agnieszka Daldorph, Reminiscence Arts in Dementia Care, Age Exchange
This award will be made to an organisation or person that has developed and delivered an outstanding creative arts project, in any setting, to improve the quality of lives of people living with dementia.
Best Dementia Team
- Wendy Burton & Samantha Pritchard, Derby City Dementia Team, Making Space
- Dee Scuton & Theresa Hegarty, Royal United Hospital Dementia Co-ordinators, Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust
- Nancy Smith & Spencer Dinnage, South East Essex Dementia Support Team, Southend on Sea Borough Council Integrated Commissioning
- Lisa Howarth & Nicola Kendall, St Cuthbert’s Hospice Dementia Service, St Cuthbert’s Hospice
- Nancy Walford & Sabrina Wilkins, Sunrise of Eastbourne, Sunrise Senior Living UK
This award will be made to the dementia-focused team which has developed and maintained a superb standard of care within any care setting.
Best Dementia Friendly Hospital
- Grahame Hardy & Jane Browning, Hawkhurst Community Hospital, Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Olivia Frimpong & Katie Hollis, Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Lauren Hanson & Marie Honey, St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospital NHS Trust
- Chris O’Connor & Paula Tucker, East Surrey Hospital, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
- Christopher Wilkin & Rachel O’Toole, Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton and Somerset NHS
This award will be made to an acute or community hospital which can demonstrate that it has developed outstanding and innovative services for people living with dementia admitted for treatment of medical/surgical conditions.
Best Dementia Care Home
- Shona Bradbury & Lea Payne, Appleby House, Care UK
- Chris Walton-Turner & Jenn Marshall, Haviland House, Guild Care
- Shahnaaz Mohamad & Alison Simmonds, Sandown Park Care Home, Healthcare Homes Group
- Mevin Sohorye & Niamh Coffey, Aranlaw House, Luxury Care
- Alison Roberts & Shirley Davison, Munhaven, NorseCare
This award will be made to the care home with more than 50% of its residents living with dementia which provides an outstanding environment with exceptional standards of care, excellent staff training and morale and a well-respected place in the local community.
Lifetime Achievement in Dementia Care
- Frank Arrojo, tide – together in dementia everyday
- Professor Dawn Brooker, University of Worcester
- Dawne Garrett, Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
- Karen Harrison Dening, Dementia UK
- Jackie Pool, Sunrise Senior Living UK
This award will be made to an exceptional individual who, over a significant portion of their life, has been dedicated to improving the quality of life of people living with dementia they have worked with.